So, as a promised, here is the recipe for making the Pie Pops I made yesterday.
3 cups of apple chopped very small
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
Mix all ingredients together.
Easy Pie Crust
1 cup Crisco (vegetable shortening)
3 cups flour
1/2 cup cold butter
about 5 tbsp. cold water
1 tbsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
In a bowl mix together the flour, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry knife, cut in the butter and shortening until it resembles coarse meal. In a small bowl beat egg with a fork. Add the vinegar and water to the egg. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Using a fork toss into the dough just comes together. You do not what to over mix the dough (it will make it tough). You should see bits of butter and shortening in the dough, this is what makes your pie crust flakey and tender. Wrap in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for at least an hour.
Here’s the step by step on how to put the pie pops together.
1. Soak wooden popsicle sticks in water. (They won’t burn in the oven then)
2. Roll out the dough on a well floured surface.
3. Cut out two hearts for each pop.
4. Cut a smaller heart out of the top for a vent. Keep the little heart for the top (because it’s cute).
5. Put about 2 tbsp. of the apple filling and place in the center of the bottom heart.
6. Brush the sides of the bottom heart with an egg wash (that’s the glue to keep the pie together).
7. Place the popsicle in the center of the filling then put the top heart over the apple filling and using a fork seal the sides of the pie. (Sorry my picture doesn’t show the popsicle stick, I forgot to add it).
8. Brush the tops with more egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake on parchment paper in a 350 F oven for about 15 mins.