Here’s how I painted my found desk.
Here’s what I did. I sanded down the piece and repaired a few of the draws. Then I painted the whole thing in Flat Black Acrylic Paint.
So, I had in my mind that I could simply tape a few rows of tape and instantly have rows of triangles. Not, so easy. After lots of measuring it just couldn’t be done. So, I ended up having to measure and tape each individual triangle. Maybe someone that’s better at Math then me could figure it out, but with the width of the tape to account, I just couldn’t make it work.
Then I painted over all the tape edges that I was going to paint black. This seals the tape and ensures perfectly clean tape lines. I wanted to have just a random pattern. So, there really was no rhyme or reason to it.
Once the black paint dried, I started painting the metallic paint. I used Martha Stewart’s metallic craft paints in Yellow Gold, Silver and Bronze. It took almost 3 coats of paint for each triangle. I let the paint dry completely between each coat.
See how nice and clean the tape lines are.
To seal the whole piece and applied two coats of clear satin Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish. Then I attached new brass hardware and lined the drawers with contact paper.
I hope you try something fun on a thrift store find or any piece of furniture that needs a facelift. Take a risk, be brave, and you’re sure to end up with a unique piece.