I’m going to Alt!!! I know I’ve said it before, but I’m just so pleased. I’ve heard that one of the best parts of Alt is the fashion. I’m both excited and intimidated by this. I love fashion and used to consider myself somewhat fashionable. But now, this mom’s wardrobe is pretty much down to just the essentials. Actually, I’m not sure if you can call it a wardrobe. Really, I just own a bunch of random clothes, many of which do not fit me or go with anything else in my closet. Most days, looking cute is the last thing on my mind or budget. It’s really not how I want it to be, but I’m also ok with it. Life is full of Seasons (that’s what my mom says), and this is my Season for being the mom of a messy baby. Someday my kiddos will all be big and I’ll have a job that pays money, and maybe then I’ll be able to dress how I really want to.
So, back to attending Alt Summit in just two week, I’ve been trying to put together some outfits and accessories for this event. I’ve gotten a couple really great dresses, a couple pairs of shoes and a new bright red lipstick. But I’ve also been making a few accessories. This gilded gold leather heart clip was really easy to make, and I’ll definitely be sporting it at Alt. I was going to make these gold leather clips by painting the leather with metallic paint (like when I made my Leather Cuffs), but I came across this DIY Gilded Business Card Holder on Lovely Indeed. I’ve never tried using gold leaf, so thanks Chelsea for the inspiration to try out a new art medium. And now my mind is racing trying to figure out what other things a could gold leaf.
I love the texture of the leather and how nicely the gold leaf cracks and folds on it. I think this turned out to be a playful hair accessory that I’ll get a lot of use out of.
So here’s the how-to:
1. Make a heart template out of cardboard or paper. Mine is about 3 inches across.
2. Trace around the heart using a sharpie, on the back of the leather.
3. Cut out the heart using good, sharp scissors.
4. Paint on an even coat of Modge Podge.
5. Let it dry for only a minute, just so it’s a little tacky versus drippy.
6. Gentle lay a piece of gold leaf on the heart.
7. Press the gold leaf down and gentle smooth in out. There should be creases, this adds to the gilded look.
8. Then let the Modge Podge dry for about 10-15 mins, and then with another dry paint brush (I liked this foam one) gently rub away the excess gold leaf. The leather will show through in spots, this is what I love about the gold leaf on leather.
9. Then paint on another thin, even coat of the Modge Podge on top of the gold leaf. I found that this prevented the gold leaf from flaking or rubbing off further.
10. Using a hot glue gun, attach a hair clip (I like the big, long bobby pins for the beauty supply store) or broach pin to the back. I like to use a small square of felt as well. Not only does it give it a nice finished look, but it also holds the clip firmly in place and makes it comfortable in your hair.
Can you relate to my loss of style issue? Are fashion and trends the last thing you have time to worry about? Or are you the mom that always looks good? If so, how do you do it? I need you advice and help.
Oh, and I’d love your opinion on one more thing. What do you think about the size and detail of my how-to pictures (the step by step instructional photos). Are they too small? Are they clear in what I’m trying to show? I want this part of my DIYs to be clear and easy to follow. I’d appreciate your feedback.